Traditional wet shaving has grown exponentially over the past few years. The classic safety razor allows you to get close results while using an environmentally friendly and affordable alternative to the cartridge razor.
The problem that many men face when getting into traditional shaving is where to start. So today, we wanted to share a few well-made wet shaving kits that provide excellent results.
1. For Beginners: OneBlade Core Black Tie Shave Kit
The award-winning sleek and sexy OneBlade Core is a well-designed razor perfect for beginners. What makes this razor so unique compared to a traditional safety razor is that the head of the razor pivots like a cartridge razor. This allows the blade to stay flush against the skin, increasing comfort and reducing the chance of cuts when shaving.
Doing the cutting, the OneBlade Core relies on the highly-touted Feather FHS-10 single edge razor blades. These super thin and sharp blades make quick work of even the most coarse whiskers.
Aside from the razor, OneBlade also includes in this kit lavender-scented shaving cream, a synthetic shaving brush, nourishing aftershave balm, a small razor stand, and two months’ worth of starter blades.
- Beginner-friendly design.
- Well-made shaving cream and aftershave balm.
- Less likely to cut yourself while learning.
- The selection of compatible razor blades is limiting.
- A synthetic shaving brush takes some work to generate a lather.
2. Trending: The Leaf Kit
Launched as a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2016, Leaf Shave gained notoriety by making a cartridge razor alternative that is environmentally friendly while still providing a close and comfortable shave.
Like the OneBlade Core, the Leaf Kit features a beginner-friendly pivoting head that provides close and clean results. But unlike many others, it relies on a universal blade setting, allowing you to slide any safety razor blade into the head of the razor. This dramatically reduces the cost of ownership while allowing you to experiment across many different brands to see which razor blade performs the best.
Aside from the razor’s design, in this kit, Leaf also includes a short and sleek stand, 60 blades to get you started, and a blade bank, so you dispose of the used blades safely and responsibly.
It’s easy to see why this razor garners an impressive 4.77 out of 5.00 rating.
- Eco-friendly design reduces waste.
- Universal blade fitting allows you to test across brands.
- An overabundance of blades to get you started.
- Doesn’t include any of the necessary supplies.
3. Complete Kit: Bevel Shave Kit
Whether you are trying out wet shaving for the first time or you are looking for the perfect present for that lucky guy in your life, the Bevel Shave Kit is the ideal way to start; here’s why:
From the initial priming oil to the alcohol-free restoring balm, Bevel includes all the essentials you need to get a barbershop-quality shave in the comfort of your own home.
Included in this starter kit, you will find the following:
- Safety Razor
- Shave Brush
- Priming Oil (Pre-Shave Oil)
- Shave Cream
- Restoring Balm (Aftershave Balm)
- 20 Blades
Each of the included items in the kit is well-made and great for beginners. For example, the shaving brush is made from badger hair, a fiber that delivers a consistently thick lather.
The pre-shave oil and aftershave balm are naturally-derived and will make the entire shaving experience much more enjoyable. And finally, the Bevel safety razor itself performs well. It’s not too aggressive, making it a good razor for men with razor bumps or sensitive skin.
Related: Bevel Razor Review
- It’s a complete shave kit from a trusted brand.
- Razor performs well for men who commonly experience razor bumps.
- Included pre-shave oil and aftershave balm is a nice touch.
- The handle of the safety razor should be a touch heavier.
4. Great Value: WCS Starter Kit
Founded in 2007, online retailer West Coast Shaving has been the go-to destination for all things shaving-related. One item that shoppers particularly love is their WCS Starter Kit. It contains all the essentials that you need for a good shave, including a shaving brush, shaving cream, a double edge safety razor, and several small packs of razor blades.
While this kit retails for $72.48, it often goes on sale. So if you don’t need to buy it now, you might be able to net some savings if you wait a bit.
- It contains everything you need.
- Upgrade over unknown brands of equal price.
- Kit varies depending on inventory availability.
5. Most Affordable: Maggard Razors Basic Traditional Wet Shaving Starter Kit
Adrian, MI-based Maggard Razors, is a wet shaving enthusiast’s dream come true. Carrying one of the widest selections of shaving supplies, they have everything you could ever need to take your shaving routine to the next level.
As we recently reviewed here, the Maggard Razors Basic Traditional Wet Shaving Starter Kit is a bespoke and affordable shaving set that is well worth the investment.
When putting together the shaving kit, you can customize the razor handle to be long or short and the razor head for your facial hair type.
Also included with the shaving kit is a Maggard Razors synthetic shaving brush and three razor blade packs. In total, the set only costs a modest $38.99 – an absolute steal!
- One of the only kits that allow for customization.
- Trusted brand among wet shaving enthusiasts.
- The performance can be a little spotty.
6. For Travel: Mühle Chrome-Plated Safety Razor Travel Shaving Set
For the road warriors out there, the Mühle Travel Shaving Set allows you to enjoy that oh-so-comfortable barbershop shave while away from home.
The matching chrome-plated shaving brush handle/canister, coupled with the highly reviewed Mühle safety razor, will upgrade any hotel or gym countertop. Housing both the brush and the razor, you’ll have a beautiful vegetable-tanned leather case.
If there are any downsides to this kit, it doesn’t come with razor blades or shaving cream. Consider checking out our review of safety razor blades for some recommendations.
- Beautiful high-end finishes.
- Travel shaving brush offers a unique design.
- Blades and shaving cream must be purchased separately.
- Expensive given the lack of accessories.
7. Luxury Pick: D. R. Harris Three-Piece Shaving Set
Founded in 1790, London-based D.R. Harris is an old-world shaving company highly revered amongst the wet shaving community. Their shaving products are made with careful detail and perform exceptionally well.
With a matching soft cream handle on both the razor and brush, it’ll feel great in the palm of your hand. Also included with this kit is a shaving stand to help keep your shaving supplies nice and clean.
Lastly, the kit also includes a presentation box perfect for gift giving.
- Beautiful and simply designed.
- The bulky handle provides a confident grip.
- The shaving brush is animal-friendly.
- It contains a gift box.
- Expensive given the lack of extras.
8. For Experts: Merkur Futur Shaving Set
The Merkur Futur is a beautiful safety razor that showcases some of the finest German craftsmanship in wet shaving.
With a simple twist of the handle, the Merkur Futur allows you to change the aggressiveness of the shave in six different increments. So if you crave that ‘baby butt smooth’ finish, we think you love what the Merkur Futur has in store for you.
As we covered in our in-depth review of the Merkur Futur, even the mildest setting is quite aggressive. Therefore we only recommend this shaving kit for men comfortable with safety razors.
Aside from the Futur, Merkur also includes a badger shaving brush, stand, and bowl. The only thing missing from here will be a shaving cream – we humbly suggest picking up Taylor of Old Bond Street.
Top-to-bottom, this is a well-designed set that is a perfect upgrade if you have experience with traditional shaving.
Related: Best Adjustable Safety Razors
- A well-designed adjustable razor that allows you to fine-tune the shaving experience.
- High-end finishes for all the items in the set.
- Even the mildest setting on the Futur is pretty aggressive.
- Lacks shaving cream or any other supplies.